Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Education is key to my kids

I went this morning to have a parent/teacher conference with Ms.Stevens (Tyler's kindergarten teacher) to go over exactly where Tyler is at in his class. I'm always concerned about his speech because for one he has a lisp which is completely ok because I have one to, and then he struggles with his "y, l and w" pronunciation. So this is what I basically found out.
  • He scored a 75% in his Rediness Testing (a test that Ms.Stevens told me is very basic testing. The questions are really general from what's your first and last name to recognizing shapes, colors and I'm sure some math)
  • When he was asked to count to 30 he counted up to 19. (this is something I know I can help him with at home, so I'm not to worried about his ability to count and not getting the "extra" help) 
  • His ability to write his name is progressing smoothly. :))
  • He is a very sensitive student. Yesterday while they were working in stations, Ms.Stevens said that Tyler was going ahead of her and that she told him to slow down and to not go onto the next page until she asked him to. Well, Tyler went to the next page so he had to pull a stick, and this just tore him up. :(( It didn't make the situation any better for him or for his teacher. 
  • Finally, Ms.Stevens is going to send home a packet for me to fill out to request speech therapy for Tyler 
With all this said, I am still not at peace with how the meeting went. Don't get me wrong, Tyler's teacher is amazing!, and she seems to love what she does. I just know there is more that Jason and I can do for him. I called the Sylvan Learning Center in Lubbock, and we have an appointment tomorrow at 12:30 with a woman named Kelly. This is just the right thing to do for Tyler, his education is important and it is up to Jason and I to provide him with the help he deserves. It will be costly, but we will make it work. His learning is my priority. He will be screened and the results will determine exactly what he needs help on. My expectations for my kids are all high, and it varies with each of them. Brooke made a 88 on her math progress report and I made it clear for her to push that up to an A, because she is an A student. She made the A Honor Roll all year as a first grader, so I know she is capable of doing it again this year. I asked her if she needed help, and I will eventually have a parent/teacher conference with Mrs.Marks as well. I just need to see exactly how she is doing after this first 6 weeks. Well this pretty much wraps up my Tuesday morning. I am so tired! Being up at 6am isn't the funnest, but I know I'll sleep so good tonight. :)) I love my little family and we're definitely blessed with amazing children. -xoxo Kayla 

No comments:

Post a Comment